Monday, September 6, 2010

I should be training.


It's less than a week until the 'super hike'. This event takes place on the skirts of the Susquehanna river. Twenty Eight point four miles...up and down all day. Twelve hours to completion. I mentioned on a thread devoted to the event that I am “excited” for the day. What a crock of shit. “Excited” like I'm ready for it to be over.

My 'friend' Heidi asked me to join her on this hike. I was not paying attention to the details, just trying to be a good friend and agreed to do it. She was being sort of desperate and pathetic...so being the nice guy that I am I was just like “sure...I'll do it”.

She's been training and doing the practice hikes...I told myself all summer that I would also do such things, and now here there is less than a week to go and I'm sitting around on a beautiful day, trying to beat the Sonic wii game with my son. We get heavily involved in beating stupid video games to a pulp. -Yet another thing that I said I would 'never' do as a parent...play video games all day? No way. Not in my house...My kid's not going to be one of these...and on and on. Hypocrite. Damn right, that's me! In the big picture...we're not melting our brains into the video game (here comes my defense). I can say that I prefer our gaming to simply watching Sponge Bob (I fucking love Sponge Bob), or other zombie beckoning television. Yes. It's true. -Listen...these games take patience. I have no patience. I don't think I ever really swear in front of Ollie until we get neck deep in beating one of these stupid games. I yell at the screen rather loudly and he believes in my skills. He will hand me the controller at certain points, for me to take over...and at those times I will stop at nothing for the blessings of my five year old. We both get overly frustrated and overly joyous at the peaks of different levels. It's fun. Whatever...I'm spending time with my number one little man. It rules.

Twenty eight point four miles? What the hell am I thinking?


Sure, hiking buckets of mortar up scaffolding all summer could be considered some sort of training, and yes...I did some stretches two weeks ago. Stretches I swore I was going to do daily. I don't do anything daily and I don't do anything super. Super hike. What a stupid name. (Am I really starting to hate the whole idea of this event?). I guess it's coming down to me losing a little bit of my confidence. Well...not losing my confidence just yet...I'm actually extremely confident. -Which scares me...and that could be what this little rumble of emotion is. Yup, just a few butterflies. I eat butterflies for breakfast.

I haven't been training whatsoever, but I have been gathering lots of advice from seasoned hikers and runners. Well, I've been taking advice from those friends of mine who choose to live a healthier life than myself.

I was 'super' stoked because Leon told me to 'pack a lunch...eat a sandwich'. And I liked that advice. I liked it so much, that I may ad to the lunch idea and bring a couple of cold ones. I think that cracking a beer at Normanwood would be something to look forward to; and could give me the extra incentive to 1) make it half way and 2) finish the hike so that I may enjoy more beer. Damn that thought made a lot of sense and didn't seem so, so stupid until I wrote it out.

Other advice that I've taken, and may elaborate with as well. “Make sure you lube up down 'there' so that you don't chafe'. Wow. I wasn't even thinking of that. Shit. Ok, ok, ok...what if I just don't wear any pants or under wear at all? I won't chafe, and I'll be able to clear the trail of those in my way of victory. “Ahhh...look out! Theres a fucking NAKED dude coming down the trail! Ewww...gross!”

I kinda like that plan the best. Full on naked dude ripping down the trail, eating a big old sub from Nino's, cracking a beer and using hiking poles awkwardly for the first time. I'm headed to Normanwood. From then back up to Pequea...naked as a jay bird, leading the way. Super!

No comments:

Post a Comment