Saturday, November 20, 2010

Restaurant Fart

Time stood still. I did not move, but looked from side to side with out moving my head, just maxing my peripheral. It was as though there was an elephant in the room...and nobody wanted to talk about it.

I accidentally farted very loudly in a very public place. It was at Mexitaly in York; a highly recommended Mexican/Italian restaurant (get it) with reasonably priced fresh food. It is very close to an area that I work in often...so I eat there with great pleasure some what often.

My English is shaky because I am still getting over this incident.

It was as though there was an elephant in the room...and nobody wanted to talk about it. I've never used that expression before, and am actually wondering the origin and meaning. Is it to describe an uncomfortable situation? That's my guess, and that's how I'm using it...but really...an elephant? If there was an elephant in the room, I'd probably be somewhat stoked or amazed...as long as it wasn't killing people or looking like it was about to kill people. If it was just hanging out I think it would be cool. I think I may be missing some of the phrase. I don't know.

My accidental fart left me in a very uncomfortable situation...not like an elephant in the room that nobody wanted to talk about. It was a loud fart. It was me...we don't have to talk about it...I'm guilty as hell.

It was awkward. Almost the same feeling I would imagine to have if you had to tell the bride that she's got a booger at her nose.

"Hey, yeah...congratulations! It was a great ceremony, your dress looks nice, I'm so happy for you guys and....you've got a little...there's a...you might want to...sorry but you've got this little hanger...oh hell. Darling you've got a big nasty booger! I'm so sorry!"

She runs away crying with the boogie flopping in the wind.

The restaurant just reopened with a flock of anxious customers. There was a dirty construction worker sitting in the middle of the room frozen with guilt after leaving a loud fart.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think there is another origin of the saying, just that some guy used the expression once in the ny times and it caught on. If there was an elephant in the room and no one one was talking about it, it'd be obvious they were ignoring it by choice, not because it wasn't noticed... just like your enormous fart.

    ReplyDelete